Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Socioeconomics of Effects of Music?


-From TMZ.com, 2/27/09-
STORY HERE
One of the smartest computer people on the planet -- Virgil Griffith -- has just released the results of a brand new study which showed a correlation between SAT scores and the musical tastes of college students.

Shockingly, people who enjoy listening to Beethoven scored significantly higher than everyone else. The people who enjoy listening to Lil' Wayne, however, were at the bottom of the intelligence chart -- just behind people who like Beyoncé and T.I.

But the most bizarre finding: People who dig the mid '90s soft rock drivel of Counting Crows scored incredibly high, just below Ludwig van. Now that's just stupid.

When I took a look at this image data, I found that there were obvious socioeconomic issues behind the study, considering that Beethoven was music for the rich and Lil Wayne is music for the street.

This reveals the importance cultural diversity within races, ethnicities and classes to bring each other into the light of knowledge about each other and social tolerance. Personally, I love classical music, my favorite being Franz Liszt, and I got to love this genre because I played bass clarinet for 3.5 years in my high school band, exposing me to classical and jazz music in my adolescent years. But I also LOVE hip-hop very much, and if i just listened to rap only, my mind would be so enclosed and limited in understanding other people's culture and customs.

What do you think about this study?
http://musicthatmakesyoudumb.virgil.gr

Thanks to Jeffry Ramirez for the news about this!
-gs1r-


LISTENING TO:

Comfortable
by: Lil Wayne
Tha Carter III

No comments:

Post a Comment