Tuesday, March 3, 2009

More Social Progression (I LOVE IT!!!!)

From Los Angeles Times, 2/2/09

L.A. judge shares her unusual story

Not long after Audrey B. Collins was named chief judge of the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, she found herself pondering what she might say at an upcoming luncheon, the sort of affair she'd routinely be expected to attend in her new capacity as the public face of the court.

But as Collins considered her remarks, she realized there was nothing routine about this gathering. She'd been asked to speak to a group of female Afghan attorneys and judges visiting the United States, women who risked their lives every day by practicing law in defiance of the Taliban.

The standard fare for lunchtime speeches, such as court statistics, judicial vacancies and cost-of-living increases for federal judges, wasn't going to cut it with this crowd, Collins concluded.

So she decided to tell her own story, one that makes her, in at least one respect, a highly unusual member of the federal judiciary: Collins, 63, is the granddaughter of a slave.
FULL STORY HERE


Today I went to a Starbucks to get coffee as I waited on my brother at the Metro office to get his monthly bus sticker. After I made my purchase, I went to sit down to read the paper and found this story that upon looking at it paused my life to take in a deep thought about this special situation. I was very touched by this because it demonstrates the American progress that I'm so proud of, steps toward equality and non-racially bound values.

In three generations, from slave to a chief judge! That is an almost unparalleled progression, almost on the level as having a African-American US president. And with all the injustice in the world, this is certainly a refreshing glass of slightly-chilled water for me =)


-gs1r-


LISTENING TO:

Life in Technicolor
by: Coldplay
Viva La Vida

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome story. I was not aware of it. Thank you for posting it! It's nice to know that slowly but surely things are advancing! :-D

    ReplyDelete