Friday, February 20, 2009

I'm so sorry, Chris Brown...

Most of the media is ripping Chris Brown for his alleged physical abuse of Rihanna as of recent, almost crucifying him to the public eye. And while this high-profile domestic abuse is being dealt with ever so openly, one has to think about the factors that contributed to forming Brown's capacity to even harm another human being, let alone a woman.

Now, I'm not much of a entertainment gossip consumer but I just felt the need to find out a little more about this situation, particularly his past, being that Brown, who is very loved by his fans in the US and around the world, just fell from his rocket whose destination was toward the brightest of stars.

He was quoted by imnotobsessed.com speaking about an ironic and sad confession of his abusive past as a child.

"I don't want to mention the person's name - it wasn't my real father - but somebody hurt my mom and me, I had to deal with that from seven all the way to 13. It affected me, especially (my behaviour) towards women - I treat them differently. I don't want to put a woman through the same thing that person put my mom through. I was scared and timid when I was little. I used to pee in my bed... I think it was me being nervous, and scared to get up (out of bed) and see what was going on. My mom used to try and hide it from me and my sister, but we knew. Anybody that's going through it, just try to deal with it, talk it out."

- Chris Brown, Nov 26, 2007


Brown is as much of a victim of domestic abuse as he is the perpetrator of it toward a fragile-framed Rihanna. While everyone's bashing Brown for his actions (which definitely deserve social and lawful consequences, no doubt), people need to understand that all this going down with him is largely a result of his childhood environment. This unnamed person who abused his mother and family affected Brown's view of women, his perspective of social and physical boundaries, his power of self-control, and his own self-esteem. His judgment of woman was impaired in the past by forces outside of his control, and since his days as a kid has been living with handicapped discernment. Even though he does deserve punishment, can you blame him 100% for his abusive actions, really?


The cycle of domestic violence impressed upon by family leave it's filthy marks of disrespect and hate on impressionable young hearts and minds. This is an example of the extent of damage it can do others and to society, and a revelation that all kinds of people, even the best of us, can be victims of social injustice. Lets this serve as an example for all of us, to live in respect of others, just like we want to be respected.


-gs1r-

"So in everything, do to others what
you would have them do to you, for this
sums up the Law and the Prophets.

-Matthew 7:12-


LISTENING TO:

The Coolest
by: Lupe Fiasco
The Cool

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your view on Chris Brown's case. Most people never bother to think of all the different sides of the story. As you stated, this is a prime example of the extend that Violence affects the offender and the offended, whom in the future may become an offender themselves.

    Kudos to you,

    ReplyDelete